Work done so far…..
Over the years since 2002, we have initiated and participated in many community projects. Most of these have taken place in the rural areas of the north of Bali, around the Sukasada area. Some include
- Funding support for the infrastructure to supply fresh water to the villages of Alasangka and Pegudungan. This was particularly important for the well-being of the girls and women in the community as they were previously trekking up to 5 kms to fetch water from the local river and bucket it back to their village. Water was then able to be supplied to the school.
2. The provision of bikes to some students who live some distance from school. This also enabled the family to have transport for other purposes. The students retained ownership of the bike as long as the students were attending school.
3. Orchid and tree generation lessons conducted in Baturiti. These were managed by our local coordinator and supervised by the head horticulturalist from the Botanic Garden in Bedugul. Teenagers at risk, mostly boys, were the target group. They attained skills which ultimately lead to employment or an opportunity to grow orchids which they could sell at the local market.
4. Rainwater collection tanks were installed at 3 village schools. These were stocked with catfish which, after harvesting, were either sold and the money used to buy more fish stock , or were given to the locals to supplement the meagre amount of protein their diet.
5. English lessons and clubs have been run in rural and metropolitan areas. Currently there are 5 after-school-hours clubs at various Primary Schools.
6. Funding support for the checking of eyesight and provision of glasses to needy students at a school in Denpasar.
7. Funding support for a child with medical issues.
8. Sponsorship of the educational expenses for needy students is a priority, with many students in all areas of Bali, receiving support.